Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Nothing Is Worse Than...

...a grown man (or woman for that matter...but ESPECIALLY a man) who can't control his emotions and deal with them in a constructive manner. We all know someone who may get upset at a situation or a particular person and consistently the FIRST thing they do is take to TwitMyFaceSpace (Twitter, Myspace, Facebook) to publicly display their unstable, vulgar, errant emotional breakdown/rant for the world to see...exposing way more information than necessary to a group of people who could care less to know or read it. Searching for approval, affirmations, or just desperately needing someone (anyone) to "like" their status update for the value of a self-esteem boost. ... :-\
If you feel offended right now, good. And I unapologetically say to you, as VP would put it, "Go sit in the corner and think about your life." ...I'm personally putting you in time out (lol...but I'm so serious)....That's the nicest, most mature way I can put it versus suggesting that you cease existing any further, but that's just not me.
So I'm listening to Mike Posner's new album 31 Minutes To Takeoff because in the past, his mixtapes have caught my attention because they are pretty decent so I decided to give the album a shot. Let's just say I got it for free and I'm still inclined to ask for a refund. A monetary refund and also a refund of the 38 minutes of my life that I lost listening to this mess. But I digress...
Keeping in line with the topic of this post, there's this one terrible (albeit hilarious) track cleverly entitled "Cheated" which is dedicated to his ex who apparently did him dirty. The hook goes a little something like this:
i should've cheated on you ohh ohh i was everything you wanted and more i should've cheated on you ohh ohh nobody told me i was dating a whore i should've cheated, cheated i should've cheated cheated i should've cheated, cheated i should've cheated cheated
Later in the song, Mikey takes it to another (unnecessary) level and proceeds to drop the full name of the chick he's singing about....come on son. It worked for Eminem......you just sound lame and bitter. Listen for yourself...
I guess I can see his reasoning behind deciding to put the song on his debut album. Every artist wants to connect with his/her fans and the way to do that is talk about something they can relate to. The thing he didn't account for is the importance of TACT. First of all, there are two (three) sides to every story. Secondly, why not make a song about how you were hurt and how you got through it....if you really want to connect with and help your fans. I doubt when/if he performs this at a show, there will be a gang of dudes in the front row holding each other and singing/crying/name dropping along with him. MAN UP!
It's perfectly ok to feel these types of feelings. We are humans, not robots, so we will be hurt and disappointed from time to time. But it's NOT ok to purposely publicly display these destructive feelings to those around you. It's toxic.....like sitting in your garage with the car on letting the carbon monoxide fill up the room. What are you accomplishing? Besides showing the world how immature and emotionally unstable you are. Think before you speak....don't let your mouth be a loose cannon. Take time to breathe, write your errant feelings down on paper where only you can read them or call a good friend and vent. Please don't do it publicly because..
"Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn." (c) Rhett Butler, "Gone With The Wind"
- GB

2 comments:

  1. There are two sides to this particular issue though. I understand completely and perfectly where you are coming from. I myself have had to block family members/good friends on Facebook and take some people off my Twitter account for being extra with their emotions, feelings, etc. Here's the rub though: We choose to follow them. No one made us click that "accept" button and it's quite easy to rid ourselves of this "problem" by promptly hitting the "delete" button. Chances are, these people (if they are close to us) are like this in real life, so why get mad that they act the EXACT same on the internet? If it's someone you don't really know or you aren't that close to, well, why are you their friend/following them in the first place?

    Thus I've never been able to understand why people complain about what OTHER people but on the internet. It's their lives, for better or for worse. We don't have to be an audience. Granted, I've been known to be a bit much on Twitter (not so much Facebook) and other social media (hello Live Journal...) because I consider those 30-40 people to be close enough to me as friends or associates that they deserve the privilege to know what I'm *really* thinking. Most people don't realize, outside of about 10 really close associates, everyone I follow/that follows me on Twitter found ME. Not to say that I don't appreciate it, but it puts this conversation in perspective when we start complaining about things we've chosen to expose ourselves to. I tell people all the time when they start to follow me on Twitter, if you remember me being a certain way or you have a certain idea about who I am, be prepared to have that go out the window. I am a bit raunchy, I do subliminally tweet my anger and frustration about certain people, things, situations, and I have a sailor's mouth. If you don't like it, unfollow. Sounds simplistic but it amazingly works.

    I'm done running my mouth, flame away :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you. We do make the conscious decision to follow/add people. Most people know how to use descretion. I understand where Gevar is coming from too. I don't want to read this, but I have to keep in mind that, I did decide to follow/add these people.
    We live in this society where everyone wants to know everything about every one. We go home an view these pointless reality shows, with these people who act just like us. I have no idea why we are fasinated with this. I use to watch the Real World, I watched Flavor of Love, I watched a couple of episodes of the Kardashians. It got to a point when I started to ask myself why.... Why was a interested in this crap?
    I understand where Gevar is coming from because I feel disappointed when I see people airing out their dirty business for the world to see. I spend more time shaking my head at what people say that I just don't have a desire to even stay in contact with any of my friends on Facebook. I follow people on Twitter but can only stand to actually read about 5 people's post.
    It is annoying and it has gotten out of hand. I can't do anything about it other than to keep myself in check, cause it is easy to air out your business and get "groupie" love from people who aren't trying to help you.
    (i'm cutting this off cause I can get long winded)

    -VP

    ReplyDelete