Thursday, October 14, 2010

Oh, He's Just A Friend.

Over the years I would wonder why we don't try to date our opposite sex friends. Just seemed like a common practice that was acceptable to me. Date someone that you have an interest in and you both share similar interest and have an understanding of one another.
It was just a thought though. So I left it alone until the past weekend.



This past weekend, Season 2 finale, of the Office, got to me a little. No, I wasn't laying in the bed pouring my emotion in some tissue. I just kind of had this feeling come on me.

For those who don't watch the Office (shame on you and your soul), there are two characters named Jim and Pam. They start off as really good friends and you can tell that they are attracted to each other but Pam is engaged (for about 3 years). Anyway Jim can't take it anymore and tells her how he feels. I'm leaving it at that. Go watch the show and put some pleasure in the form of laughter in your life.

The heavy feeling I got, from watching the show, was because it took me back to when I had friends that I found attractive and the only reason I became their friend was because I found interest in them.



I use to actually try to get to know a woman before I wanted to date her. All my logic just made it seem logical. It really makes sense, but apparently only to me.
Do you know how hard it is to be attracted to a friend? You don't want to destroy the friendship by making an advance but you aren't satisfied with the way things currently are. The worst part is when they actually choose to be with someone else, and never considered you an option. That hurts. But being the good friend you are, you just smile and wait. Always trying to be there for support, and at the same time slowly fading away. Makes you feel heavy. Makes you worthless in a sense... Only cause you aren't good enough to be chosen, even thought they'll tell you that that's not it.



As you can tell I've been through a number of these and it's not a great feeling. Especially when they are done wrong and still overlook you, the person who is always there for them. It really makes no sense to me. At the same time, i would be a fool to sit there and wait on you to make mistake after mistake after mistake in your life. To let my life waste away with yours. At least you have moments of satisfaction (sorry about that, my jadedness came out). It really does make you wonder though. Especially when you hear females say that they hope their husband becomes their best friend.



Maybe I'm the one that's doesn't really understand anything anymore. I'm crazy for thinking that a married couple should know more about each other than their friends. Maybe I'm the backwards one.

Do you know how dumb this actually sounds? You hope your husband becomes your best friend rather than you actually marrying your best friend. I don't really understand this concept at all.

I heard a girl say that she would never tell her boyfriend secrets and things about her until they got married....

Why wait until you get married to be honest? And then act confused when you dump all your crazy on a dude and then get mad cause he is acting "unfamiliar." Seems to me like you are the unfamiliar one in the relationship.



I seriously thought the idea of building a relationships was to get to know one another so that you can form a decision whether to end the relationship, remain just friends or move on to the next phase.

Why do we dismiss our friends as potential lovers? Why do we make them the last choice and not the first one?

Maybe its because if we have sex with our friend then it would ruin the relationship.... Then again why is the issue of sex one of your top reasons for eliminating your friend as a good mate? That shouldn't even be an issue. Especially if that person is always there for you when you need them to be. That's what should truly matter in my opinion.
Personally I would rather be with someone I trust and know than someone I barely even know.





We take unnecessary risk, in my opinion. Always looking for the unknown, the "exciting and new" than the familiar and true. I also don't think dating your friend can ruin the friendship, that is if you go about the romantic relationship the right way. Just because you date doesn't mean that you can't be friends. You can't be friends probably cause one or both of you lacks maturity or their could be other issues.

Who knows. I'm just throwing it up in the air for people to think about

4 comments:

  1. Now this may sound a little over the top, BUT I have found in my personal experiences that males and females just shouldn't be close friends!!

    It's a setup for somebody to get hurt or/and confused in my opinion. Not saying that one can't have a friend of the opposite sex at all, however I feel that there needs to be some serious boundaries setup.

    Let me explain why I feel the way I do... first of all, I used to hang out with majority guys back in the day because I felt that girls were messy. Later on, I found out that gender isn't a total factor in messiness! If a person is messy, they're messy! Male or female!!

    Anyways, I've played both sides of the fence: the friend that is secretly in love with my "friend" AND the friend that is not attracted to my "homeboy" because he's "like a brother to me".

    This particular incident put the icing on the cake for me though: In '05 I met this guy at bible study and he was cool. I saw him at church often and we started hanging out with a small group of people. Then we started talking on the phone and we would talk for hours and lose track of time!!

    He was attractive and I liked him as a person BUT I wasn't attracted to him. I don't know...Because he was quiet, reserved and very serious. I am more outgoing, light-hearted and um, well loud. Lol. But I really enjoyed his friendship none the less! And I honestly had no idea he was feeling me, because he was dating girls at the time and would often ask me for advice and stuff.

    So one day he asked me out and I was like, "Man, Are you serious?! I just really like you as a friend." I could tell I that I broke that man's heart and after that day, our friendship was NEVER the same!!

    Maybe he was being immature about it or whatever OR maybe I lead him on (unintentionally!!).

    I decided from then on that I would setup some boundaries with my guy friends and I actually took the time to write out some rules so I would not lead anybody else on like that again!!

    So no more best friend male buddies types, just associates! No more long convo's. No more advice sharing! Just short, friendly and general conversation. No calling me at any hour of the night. No casual hanging out! I didn't want anybody to get the wrong idea!! You understand?

    I started building friendships with females instead and I must say that it exed out a lot of unwanted drama for me!! Plus I found that ladies made pleasant friends after all!

    When I started talking to J (My hubby), we openly admitted that we were feeling each other. So, from there we took it slow and got to know one another better. But it was clear that we were both interested in pursuing a romantic relationship from jump!

    So, okay... I had a lot on my mind about all this! Lol! But, great blog Vaughn!

    As far as dating your best friend of the opposite sex, I feel that it's kind of unrealistic. It can and often DOES mess up the friendship! Especially when sex is involved! There are some rare instances when it works but thats the exception and NOT the rule!!

    I totally agree with you though about being best friends BEFORE marriage!!

    Shalom!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol! I just realized the last part of my comment is confusing! Me and J didn't START as best friends... after recognizing our chemistry, we then began building a romantic friendship together. As opposed to already being strictly platonic "homeslices" and then hooking up. Make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  3. i understand where you are coming from and i do agree with you that there should be boundaries in a relationship. I believe there should be boundaries in every relationship, whether they be male or female. Sex has become over hyped and taken completely out of context in my opinion.

    I say this because it seems that we base most of our relationship decisions on the idea of sex (I know this may not mostly be true but whatever). i have a good female friend but she is in a relationship so I pull back a lot from our communication with her, but i do that to everyone that's in a relationship. Our friendship will always be there so it's no reason for me to push it. I just like to check up on her every now and then and she is doing fine.

    I think we need to be upfront to each other and stop beating around the bush. Dancing around the situation like you don't have different feelings for someone other than the ones that you are displaying. You never know, but if you are up front then you don't have to worry about the awkardness later on, you just know from the get-go. That's how I feel at least. I just let people know how I feel. If they are mature enough to come to terms with it then our friendship can grow from there. If not, well I look like the bad guy the majority of the time.

    ReplyDelete