Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Just. Be. You. Girl!

Hello Ghidorah3 readers! I am Miss K. Ann otherwise known as @TheInsatiable1 and I will guest writing as well for the blog. Just so you know a lil’ bit more about me: born and raised in Birmingham/Hoover, Alabama. Hoover High and THE University of Alabama graduate (‘03, ‘07 and ‘10—Roll Tide!) and I am currently an unemployed attorney…that’s another post. I will go in and out of formal legal speak and writin’ like dis, so don’t be confused, it’s how I really am. I may catch flack for what I say, but as long as it’s constructive, I welcome it.

I want to start my fledgling blogging career by discussing a topic that tends to irk my nerves when it comes to women especially. It’s a simple concept of being yourself on a behavioral level (the beauty/physical aspect has been beaten to death IMO). Sounds easy, hard to accomplish.

Example: many people know I have a love/hate/blah relationship with Beyoncé. I got plenty of her songs, but I tend to be weary of girls/women who look too perfect, who look too put together. That’s probably why I adore Solange, she has enough balls to flip the establishment and flip them the finger at the same time, bald head and all. I rolled my eyes as far back in my head as they could go when Beyoncé came out with this “alter ego” Sasha Fierce for her last album. This “alter ego” is who she transformed into on stage while “Beyoncé” stay quietly in a corner in her dressing room backstage, waiting on her owner to claim her once again. My question from day one was this: Why can’t Sasha and Beyoncé co-exist in the same person all the time? Why is it that one has to be neatly put away while the other wriggles around on stage for 2 hours, only to be shelved for the next concert date?

That’s why I said if I ever got the chance to meet Beyoncé, I’d only have one thing to say to her: Just. Be. You. Girl! If Sasha is how you really are, then let her fly free all the time, just not on stage. I know I’d have more respect for you and I guarantee others wouldn’t lose the respect they have for you if you did. If you scared, say you scared, but don’t let that fear keep you from being just you, girl! Lady Gaga is the same (insert adjective here) woman on stage, in front of the cameras, and off, hence why I like her as well. You’d think she would’ve rubbed off on her when they filmed the “Telephone” video…I think it sets a dangerous precedent for girls to think that they have to contain their wacky, free-flowing ways to the confines of their room, or a stage. Besides…

d27

If you’ve known me long enough and have had the fortune (or misfortune) of being around me with a camera, more than likely I have several “gotcha” photos of you. Heck, I’ve had several taken of me. I love to show/post them on Facebook or other sites, but I’ve nearly fallen out with several friends over them. Why? The difference is I don’t mind them at all while some folks seem to want to present a polished image of themselves to Facebook and beyond. Why? For what? People aren’t dumb enough to think you always look like this>>>15326_610710479346_20500456_34341008_1167704_n, they know sometimes you look straight busted, like this >>>n1005121116_30928437_1344, so why not show them all the facets of who you are? I guarantee no one’s going to look at you any differently, they may even appreciate it and try it themselves. Imagine that! A movement of women being themselves!

So what are you afraid of? Just. Be. You. Girl!

Flame away…

3 comments:

  1. First, that was well written and it definitely resembles the opinions that you frequently express. However, I think what you forget is the concept of "time, place and manner". Some artists/individuals don't care about how they portray themselves in public and if it means being wild, crazy and unprofessional then so be it. In regards to Beyonce, it reminds me of the saying "lady in the streets and a freak in the sheets..." Not everyone wants to portray that side of them all the time. She decided to give the world a glimpse of that side of her but just because she's not talking about her man's big ego at Sunday brunch doesn't mean she's being fake or not her true self. I'm on my blackberry so I'm tired of text-typing now but you know I'm all about a lady being a lady, and that's just that :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks hun! That's a fair criticism and a topic I purposefully didn't bring up because I felt that it was one deserving of its own post sometime down the road and because I don't think showing your personalty necessarily equates to sex or sexual behavior. If "Sasha Fierce" is the "more sensual, more aggressive, more outspoken side and more glamorous side" of her (her words, not mine), then why not be that way ALL the time? Those aren't negative traits to have as a woman and I truly feel that you can be a woman and a lady and possess those traits. Doesn't mean you have to be rude, unprofessional, or overtly sexual (although "Ego" did her no favors).

    I don't want people to think that I advocate being a harlot or a b-word but with everything there is balance. I know when to be on my best behavior, but I also don't utter the phrase "Well, what would (insert name) think about what I'm doing?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. People tend to feel safe behind and alter ego. It's a way to protect themselves or to me have a ready excuse as to why it went bad. TI had an alter ego, which he mainly blames TIP for getting him in trouble and his TI side being the more reasonable one. It's really stupid to me. I agree to you to some point that you just need to be you and embrace all that comes with that.
    People just don't like to reveal themselves to like you and when they want to they form these identies as a means of acting out.... at least that's what I think.
    Nice post

    ReplyDelete