Thursday, October 7, 2010

What If I Dated Jennifer Anniston?

****So this might appear to be the lamest post made, bare with me, cause I kind of want to make a point. **** I was scanning over the top topics on Yahoo's homepage earlier this week and came across a story about the most eligible women in the world. The poll wasn't very interesting to me, it had Elin (Tiger's ex wife), Lady Gaga and Betty White ranked pretty high. Fortunately Jennifer Anniston and Halle Berry topped the list at #1 and #2, respectively. Seeing that Jennifer Anniston was ranked number one, the question, "Could I date Jennifer Anniston?" came to mind. I had to break this question down to two more questions: Could I date a woman that made more money than me? Could I date a woman that was a decade older than me? Now I understand that some of my sisters might be feeling slightly thrower off as to why I'm talking about Jennifer Anniston over Halle Berry. Couple of reasons actually. She came in at number 2 and this is my post. Hope that settle that. Jennifer Anniston is beautiful and talented. I'm a fan of her work. I've seen many of her movies and have a strong desire to see all of her movies with the exception of Leprechaun. In saying this, I do not know too many men or women who have not at least mildly entertained the idea or fantasy of dating a celebrity. We all all have our reasons why we wan to date them, but after I read this article and thought back on the GQ interview I read on her last year, I tried to put it in perspective and take the celebrity out of the situation. I really don't have a problem with dating a woman that makes more money than me. I find women who work and are able to provide for themselves to be very attractive. These women have a true sense of independence. A real sense that she doesn't need me financially but wants to be with me for the factors that really matter. It really puts my mind at ease to know that if life were to lead me down a financial slump then all the pressure wouldn't be on me to provide our living. She could even help me get back on my feet. I feel like we concentrate on money too much. If you don't have enough, then you aren't worth anything and you stress out. If you make too much... Well I'll let you know about it when I become a billionaire. Everyone associates money with success. This combined with the fact that men have misplaced egos and women are so insecure that they need a man to provide for them, just causes mess to me. How is it that if a man doesn't make enough money, then he he isn't good enough? For instance, I was struggling at one point and I just happened to be dating someone at the time. She would complain about me not buying her stuff... I didn't have a job. I was in school, and I didn't need to be in a relationship. Seriously when we are dating, it's not my job to provide for you. We are just dating, it might not work out, so provide for yourself or let your parents continue to provide for you but try to do it yourself. If a woman can provide for herself and her man, don't be ashamed to do it and don't allow him to feel ashamed to be taken care of. I don't know why dudes feel hurt when their women pull out their wallets and take care of things. Just let it happen. Get over your ego cause if they never tried to do it then we would be complaining and calling them gold diggers. Supporting, success, and providing come in many different forms and you just need to ind where you fit in when it comes to that. A man can be a strong presence in the relationship and in the household without being the major financial contributor. All my insecurities about my relationships wouldn't be about money. Money really isn't an issue with me. I'm not a bum. I'm not a mooch. I just realize that certain things are out of my control, and I'd rather not feel insecure about something cause other dudes couldn't handle it. Does it really matter that she makes more money a man? It really shouldn't. I feel like as a couple we should focus on something else. However, if I did date Jennifer Anniston, the only financial concern would be when it became time to treat or "spoil" (I hate this term) my woman. Here she is making millions off her talent and can basically treat herself o whatever she wants. It would make me feel insecure in that aspect. The fact that I couldn't do something out the "norm" for her. Cause my familiar would be her unfamiliar. The "WOW" aspect would be rather hard to pull off. I'm pretty awesome though, so I'm sure if come up with something, regardless of my income in comparison to hers. The biggest concern I would have about dating Jennifer Anniston would be the age gap. Only cause I have always wanted to start and maintain a family. Other than that I'm perfectly fine with dating an older woman. Jennifer Anniston is a decade and a half older than me though. I can do 5 years older but ten is sort of pushing it for me. Reality starts to set in for me, just a little. The older women become the greater the risk for birth defects and complications. Then I'm sure at the age of 40 and plus, having children isn't high on your to do list. With age comes experience as well. I would be asking myself, what would a beautiful, established and talented woman be doing with someone like me? She has been approached by many other eligible and probably more suitable men than me throughout the years. Again the idea of her choosing me is flattering but what makes me stand out over the others? It would seem a little off to me. Wouldn't really matter if it was Jennifer Anniston or not. I'm saying this cause I was approached by a 40 year old once, I don't know if had more to do with the fact that she was completely unattractive to me or she was almost my parents age. Either way, I rejected her, only to have her try to pawn her daughter off to me. It wasn't a great experience. I think up until that incident, I fancied dating an older woman. What attracts me to them are their maturity and wisdom. They seem to have a better appreciation of life and what it has to offer... Some of them. The idea that they haven't chosen a suitable man kind of trips me up. It sort of interest me to know why sometimes. Then I find out that some of them are bitter or a little disillusioned to dating. It doesn't apply to all older women, so I don't really see a problem with dating an older woman other than the concerns I mentioned earlier. There really isn't anything wrong with dating older women or women making more money than you in my opinion (as long ad your heart is in the right place). If you love each other then I support it. I don't personally want silly insecurities or superficial societal standards getting in the way of my goal to have a happy and successful life. In asking myself these questions, I don't know if I could date Jennifer Anniston, but I would heavily consider Eva Mendes.

7 comments:

  1. like urself i've always liked older women mainly because of tha maturity factor... and i dont see the problem with dating someone who makes more than me but in this day and age most men feel that way in our generation, the thing is most females dont(i say females cause this includes women and girls alike) now days men are ok taking a back seat in the money department alot of females aren't ok with that. nonetheless just depends on what you can find and how it works for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see more men being ok with taking a back seat. They feel like their ego is taking shots. Like it takes away from their responsibility as a man. Too many people associate the role of the man as the financial caretaker. Times have changed and we as men have to accept the fact that women can live a financial strong life without our contribution. Now I do see where you are coming from in regards to women not accepting it. It's like they hold themselves back and want to be catered to and taken care of every waking moment. Not all but you know the ones of which I speak of. It's sad to me. If you can provide for yourself then do that

    ReplyDelete
  3. i meant men in our generation and close to it as opposed to our parents... 20 yrs ago women became more and more of a provider to the family, 40 yrs ago it was more on the man to be the overall provider(money wise)... now days more and more guys are ok taking the back seat if their partner is workin hard and makin that cheese... usually when their ego takes shots it becasue of everyone else... "you know you shouldnt trust him girl cause what he do for you? you bring home all the money!" (the female friend)... "damn nigga, yo girl got you on a short leashsince she started makin more than you... wouldnt be ME i run my house!" (the male friend)

    ReplyDelete
  4. About 85% of the people I know have grown up in single parent homes. Those homes mostly have are headed by a female. That's one of the few reasons why our generation is half ok with it. Other than that. We really aren't. Society still says that a man needs to provide (on all levels) for his family. If we were so ok with it, how would you explain all the women who stay at home and take care of the house and kids while the man is out making the money? How often do you see a stay at home dad? I'll wait....

    ReplyDelete
  5. True society does say a man should do this and that and a woman should be this or that but do you try to live up to society? honestly i know very few people who give a isht bout what society thinks now they may have things that they do without thinking about it because of society but when t comes to stay at home dads they are rare partially because of society but also depends on the community now days you have a krazy high rate of single parent homes mainly mothered... because men have began to take less and less responsibility of not only kids but home in general and more moms/women are stepping up and stepping out to do so... question is how many women would be happy with a dude being a "stay at home dad" and not give tha guy hell for it... would YOU be able to do it? i know i would and would enjoy it cause its something i grew up without... a father in general

    ReplyDelete
  6. The funniest thing to me is to hear people say that they don't care or listen to what society tells them... Buy no one wants to be a complete outcast. So we all do what society finds acceptable or not just so that we can be accepted somewhere. I seriously doubt you know anyone that is a complete societal outcast. In saying this, when it comes to making a living these standards weight on us... Some choose to ignore. Most don't.

    And I would enjoy being a stay at home father. Don't see anything wrong with it

    ReplyDelete