Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Traditional Marriage Question

Would you still want to marry your spouse to be if he or she didn't want a traditional wedding?







I'm a very simple person... a traditional marriage to me is between a man and a woman, how they want to be married doesn’t really bother me. Reasons being, I’m not the one getting married and I’m not paying for their marriage. That being said I want things to be as smooth as possible when it comes to holy matrimony. I personally want a simple wedding with my family and close friends in attendance. That's as close to traditional as I'm getting. I'm just not that big on huge events that cause people to lose sight of what's important. If my wife-to-be wants some huge meaningless ceremony, then I obviously made some mistake along the lines of me dating her…







Tradition is not a bad thing, but we can tend to focus more on the act of tradition and not its original meaning. We don't necessarily put any real thought into why we actually do some things. Tradition actually varies from group to group, family to family and person to person. So if everyone has their own tradition, what is truly traditional? Tradition basically boils down to what we are use to doing. I know when it comes to marriage traditional basically means marrying in a church in front of friends and family but like I said tradition varies from group to group. Always keep in mind that what's traditional to you isn't traditional to your spouse to be. Should that necessarily kill the relationship because the two of you have two different perceptions of what is traditional? I don't think so. Tradition can be a huge thing to people. Just like engagement rings. It’s a custom to give the woman a ring when you propose to her. There isn’t anything wrong with engagement rings but we can all agree that the whole engagement ring thing can be blown out of proportion. That can be said about tradition. You can go to church every Sunday for the rest of your life and that won’t make you a better person. Tradition really does mean a hill of beans. It’s just something we are use to do and don’t want to deviate from. It really comes down to you willing to spend the rest of you life with this one person, and if you are then you’ll realize how much the outside things really don’t matter.







The great thing about marriage is that once the two of you are married you start creating your own traditions whether you realize it or not. So you really shouldn’t get caught up on the act of keeping tradition. Focus on the meaning of why the tradition was started. - Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment