Thursday, March 3, 2011

The Prenuptial Agreement Question

Would you create a prenuptial agreement or sign one? How do you feel about prenuptial agreements? 

Before anyone tries to bite my head off for saying what I’m about to say, I believe in protecting your assets as well as you can. If you work hard to achieve something I do not feel it is right to have that taken away from you or that you should have to share that with someone. Now there are certain things that were designed for you to share and you purposely intended to share those things with someone. Those things are understandable to me. When it comes to prenuptial agreements, I have no objection or ill will for them.




A lot of people feel like a prenuptial agreement is like being married with one foot out of the door, but I don’t feel that way. I look at it as an insurance policy. If this marriage were to end then MY assets are protected. I don’t have to forfeit the plans I have for those assets just because my spouse wants to be greedy and get her hands on things that don’t belong to her. Yes when you are married you share things, but some things just don’t belong to you, they mean nothing to you and the only reason that these people want these things is because they believe they hold some form of monetary value, and its kind of like stabbing some one with a knife and leaving it in the wound (which is ideal because that’s what you are suppose to do when it comes to a puncture womb, you know so you don’t further worsen the wound… I digress).

We cannot ignore the fact that people are greedy. It doesn’t matter how much you love someone or claim you love them; you have limited control in how they act or will act. The tricky thing about making this statement is that I’m insinuating that you guard yourself in a relationship. However when it comes to marriage you can’t be guarded. Before you get married you have to be willing to be committed and trusting to one another. Saying this basically crushes my prenuptial agreement support. With divorce rates so high, it’s a little hard to ignore the fact that you may need some insurance. No one sees insurance as a bad thing. Having insurance is not saying that you are going to have an accident, and some people never have vehicle accidents. It’s saying that in case you do find yourself in an unfavorable situation you are protected. You are covered just in case something happens that you did not account for. In marriage most people don’t account for the fact that they may get divorced, why should you. Who goes into a relationship constantly thinking about the possible eventual break up?

I just think prenuptial agreements are highly misunderstood. For one it’s an agreement. It’s documentation (to me similar to a will, a marriage will) that says if this marriage were to fail I would like these assets to be protected under my care. With people so caught up in material possessions nowadays I don’t think that’s such a bad idea. Look at all the people that thought they were in love and when it went bad their former spouse gutted their assets and now this person is a miserable wreck because everything they earned has been taken away from them. Everything they planned for is ruined because of someone’s greed. Who wants to be that person?



I think if your spouse-to-be wants you to sign a prenuptial agreement, you need to read over it and sign it. ONLY IF IT APPEARS TO BE APPROPRIATE!!!!! They already want to be married to you, but they are just having you sign insurance papers. That’s not necessarily saying that you are walking into a failed relationship. The reason I don’t see it as a failure is because the best way to protect yourself is to stay married. As long as the two of you are married then you are going to be taken care of. I do not believe that a person should be financially supporting someone after a divorce, I don’t care what you claim to be use to or have grown accustom to. You were accustomed to be married but now you aren’t so deal with that decision. Now I understand there are many factors as to why people get divorced, I’m not talking about the super serious reasons (abuse, etc.). I’m talking about the petty reasons as why people get divorced. I believe if your spouse abuses you in any way that they need to be sued. However all of these things can be stipulated in the prenuptial agreement. To wrap it all up, the prenuptial agreement is basically legally documenting the act of putting all your cards on the table, in my opinion. I may be wrong, but at the same time I’m not against signing one or creating one if I see fit to do so. I’m not going to ignore the fact that things can go wrong and in the event that something can go wrong I don’t want me or my spouse being left out in the cold. If you really loved someone you wouldn’t want to harm them in any way. You wouldn’t want to take anything that belongs to them for your own selfish greed. You wouldn’t be petty or selfish period.


VP  
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment