Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Movie Reviews October 15-18

It's Kind Of A Funny Story

Grade: B+



Craig Gilber (performed by Keir Gilchrist) has a rather disturbing dream of him climbing a bridge so that he can commit suicide. Upon waking up from the dream he checks himself into Argenon Hospital and is admitted to the youth psychiatric ward of the hospital by a psychiatrist. Due to the fact that the youth ward is temporarily closed so he is admitted to the adult ward and has to stay a minimum of 5 days. While in the ward he meets and befriends Bobby (Zach Galifianakis) and forms a crush on Noelle (Emma Roberts), and Craig also learns to overcome his anxiety about the pressures of life, growing up and love.

Zach Galifianakis was really good in this movie. I didn't expect him not to be either. I know that Galifianakis is a funny an awkward comedian but I don't think his screen presence demanded a roar of laughter, especially not in this movie. His ability to play characters that are not easily understood or accepted is really great to me and I appreciate the fact that he could have been the entire center of the movie but he wasn't. His character, Bobby, not only taught Craig to relax and embrace life in just 5 days but he also learned to embrace what he had as well.
This movie really appealed to me because I associated with both Bobby and Craig. The pressures of the world can get to use sometimes but through friendship and understanding we can overcome them.

This is a really delightful movie that I'm sure you can appreciate.

-VP

RED

Grade: B



This movie is based on a DC Comics graphic novel. It stars Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman, John Malkovich, and Helen Mirren in an action comedy about former CIA agents who are involved in a huge cover up.

Frank (Willis) was one of the best and after being involved in an assault seeks help from the CIA's top agents (Freeman, Malkovich, and Mirren), who happen to all be in retirement as he is, to find out who is targeting them and why.

I wanted to see RED for some time now. I was not disappointed with the movie at all. It probably could have been better but I was satisfied with the outcome.
John Malkovich's character, Marvin, was pretty funny too. he kept me entertained with his crazy old man act.

RED is based on a graphic novel by Warren Ellis and Cully Hammer. Now i know most if any of you reading this might not know who these people are, Ellis is a very talented graphic novel and comic writer and Hammer is a a talented artist. I have some of Ellis's work at my place and I like his story telling direction so I knew that this movie wouldn't be disappointing if they kept to the basics of the story. The movie is pretty solid and I liked it better than the Losers. Similar format but two different movies.

If you love graphic novels and comic books I suggest you take the time to experience this movie

-VP


Buried

Grade: B+



This film stars Ryan Reynolds.......and that's it. He plays a contracted truck driver (Paul Conroy) who is stationed in Iraq. While delivering supplies, his convoy is attacked and he wakes up in a wooden box buried a few feet underground with a cell phone with half battery life, a faulty Zippo, a knife, two glowsticks, and a dwindling oxygen supply. He has an hour and a half to get $5 million in the hands of the man who captured him or he will be left to die.

I don't want to give away too much because it's one of those movies that the less you know going in the better it is, but trust me when I say there is much more to it. But one thing I will talk about is the fact that the whole 90 minute film is shot entirely inside the box. No flashbacks, no cut-aways. And the director, Rodrigo Cortes, did an amazing job with such a limited setting. You would think that watching a guy in a box for 90 minutes would get pretty boring and monotonous but this is one of the most suspenseful and thrilling movies I've seen in a while. Everything from the camera angles to the sound editing enhances the experience.

Ryan Reynolds really makes this film what it is. I've always liked him as an actor before, but this gave me a new level of respect for him. He made his role so believable and it was easy to sympathize with his character. If you see it, you'll understand why and also why this film was released only in select theaters.

Of course the movie isn't perfect and there are tiny holes here and there but they don't take away from what this film is overall. I love when a quality indie film is granted more exposure. "Buried" deserves it...I highly recommend it.

-GB


The Social Network

Grade: A












Easily one of the top 5 movies of the year in my book. And the year isn't even finished yet. By now I'm sure that I don't have to say that this film is about Facebook. It pretty much traces the social networking site from its inception to present day...and also all the drama behind it between the players involved.

I'm sure some of the story is fabricated to make it more interesting for the silver screen, but none the less it is a very interesting story. It was shot very beautifully that gives you a warm feeling. You feel like you're on the campus of Harvard University in a dorm room with these guys drinking beer and writing lines of code. The film moves quickly but not so quickly that you will get lost...it's just more upbeat than I expected...and FULL of quick, witty humor which I love! I also enjoyed the themes of friendship, betrayal, and loyalty that are so prevalent in this film.

The cast did a great job portraying their characters, although I've never met any of them in real life. I didn't feel like I was watching Justin Timberlake in a movie, which is a plus. But Jesse Eisenberg who played Mark Zuckerberg (founder of Facebook) completely stole the show. I was first introduced to him through the movie "Zombieland" and he reminded me of Michael Cera because he played a witty, awkward guy who was hilarious. Their voices even sound similar. But seeing him be able portray a witty, egotistical, genius, asshole was very delightful. His performance was great and I can't wait to see him in more films in the future.

I recommend this to anyone who has used a social network of any kind...to give a deeper understanding of what goes on behind the scenes. Ironically, when I went to see it, I would say 70-80% of the audience was 50 or older. Threw me off a little bit, but go figure. Apparently it's not a film meant for just Generation Y.

-GB


Jackass 3-D


Grade: B+ (on a comedy scale ONLY)


Jackass 3-D

If you watched the show, Jackass, then you will be tuned in for more of the same. Each episode got a little more crazy and raunchy and by the time they hit the big screen we all knew it would be one of those "OMFG!!!" moments. You got to see the puke, the "he's just a little too comfortable in that" pranks, the strange tricks/talents each man has and the down right "why in the FU*K would you do that?" scenes. We were lead to believe that the 1st Jackass movie in 2002 would be the one and only. Most of the cast split and got there own shows (Wildboyz, Viva La Bam, & Dr. Steve-O), some went to movies namely Johnny Knoxville (Duke's Of Hazzard, The Ringer). Yet they some how brought the crew back together for another go at the wild and crazy fun that their minds could dream up for Jackass Number Two. Still when the movie credits rolled we all wondered would they come back because there is no way they can out do themselves after that. Jackass one and two left you with questions of
  • "how are these dudes not gay?"
  • "what makes them want to do that?"
  • "who would marry them?"
  • "how can they be rich off this?"
  • "why do i keep watching this?"
  • (most of all) "How can they possibly top that"


Jackass 3-d2

Well atleast the last question gets answered. Jackass 3-D will leave you disgusted and laughing to no end. I have never in my life laugh at their gags as hard as i did when watching this movie. I know alot of people are thinking "...but i dont care for the whole 3D thing..." honestly me either. Though i will say this is one 3D movie(along with avatar) that i can honestly say was worth tha extra $15(or however much 3D costs). It brought a new life to the gags, pranks, puke, and all the other hysterical nonsense that this crew brings. If you had a hard time stomaching the TV show or the 1st two movies... run from this... right after you watch it. If you dont laugh blame me by all means but when you walk out still laughing by all means blame me lol.
Jackass3-D3
Is it a must see? Nah. But i still strongly suggest that you do... if not for the laughs for the possibility that this really is the last go round... but its probably not lol
-Jrome

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommend going to see Buried, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since I saw it! Ryan Reynolds is amazing, I've never felt so connected to a character before. http://www.facebook.com/experienceburied

    ReplyDelete