Friday, December 3, 2010

Trivial Pursuit

Happiness...



We chase it.....but at what expense? I believe the answer to that is subjective to one's general outlook on life. When I think of what happiness means to me, I don't think of every facet of my life being near perfect or everything "falling into place" and me being carefree because of it. Nor do I believe that when I reach some level of "success" or notariety I will then be happy and I can kick my feet up. How many times have you dreamed and yearned for something you thought you needed, then when you finally attain it, it's not as fulfilling as you thought it would be? In my opinion, that is due to the fact that you haven't found your PERSONAL happiness. Thus you're chasing your "dreams" for the wrong reasons and your efforts are fruitless more often than not. I've been there once or twice as I'm sure you have as well...it's something that all of us struggle with.  To me, true happiness comes with self-actualization and peace within. Sounds cliche but it is truth.               

It's not a coincidence that a lot of the people who I admire personally and artistically live a "Bohemian" lifestyle to some degree. They don't really abide by trends, societal standards, or "keeping up with the Jones'". They are not different for the sake of being different (which a lot of people strive for), they have reached a point where they have found peace within themselves so they do what truly adheres to them. They don't broadcast it for recognition; instead it radiates and the world seemingly moves out of their way and respects them because of it, for the most part. There is a fine line between bitter independence and peaceful independent living. Learn the difference between the two and live for YOU.

"To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

 I believe spending time with yourself is essential as it allows you to get in tune with who you are and helps you gain perspective. We all need alone time...to think for ourselves...to do all the little things that make us happy...to reflect on and appreciate life. If you need people around you at all times in order for you to feel comfortable, that is a red flag.  Don't be afraid to be alone in your own thoughts and feelings sometimes...no matter how unstable they may be. Our personal demons never just vanish or fade away over time, they grow into more complex issues so we must face them and move forward with our lives. So I challenge you to ask yourself, what is holding you back? The more you understand yourself, the more perspective you gain about EVERYTHING. Stuff just starts to make sense, for lack of a better phrase. You learn to take life's curveballs in stride and still remain in tact while being proactive to catalyze change for the better.



Truthfully, finding peace (or as much as possible) is a never-ending process. Therefore, I believe true happiness is in living. Don't get caught up in the pursuit...instead just LIVE. Happiness is not some destination to reach...it is all around us. It is up to us to adjust our perspective on our current (and future) situations. We can not forget to live our lives for US, and not for the approval of the world, or even our friends and loved ones. Trust yourself and enjoy the ride. It's just life....no one makes it out alive anyway. Lol

No comments:

Post a Comment