Thursday, September 16, 2010

Waking Up

I don't know what it is but I cannot really recall waking up mad or upset about something. More times than not I wake up feeling fresh. Ready to conquer or tackle a project. Do I always jump on that project? No. That's neither here or there at the moment.
http://scienceblogs.com/startswithabang/upload/2009/04/pining_for_the_sun/Sunrise-Over-the-Atlantic-Myrtle-Beach-South-C.jpgWhen I was younger I use to wake up to my bedroom being flooded with light and a shadowy image of my father, sometimes telling me to get up or just fading away into darkness I longed for. He didn't have to say much I already knew what I had to do. 5 more minutes was not an honored request. So I would drag myself out of bed and into my drawer for some shorts, a t-shirt, socks and then looked for my shoes. Grabbed a cup of water and headed to the basement, which was the most illuminated room/area of the house. Every morning started off like this. Through the end of middle school until I left for college. I would wake up and go for a two mile run and come back to lift weights. That was the routine. There was no changing it. It had a purpose. That purpose was served everyday whether I realized or appreciated or whatever.
I use to get out of bed with this attitude because I didn't want to run. But everyday I had a sense of purpose that could never be taken away from me. I didn't wake up looking back on life. I woke up looking forward.
It's a little harder to look forward now. I try so hard to but it doesn't come as easy as it use to and I want to get back to that. That constant progression. The feeling of having a purpose and a goal.
We all need to set a goal and strive to it. After you hit a goal, set another one. Work on improvement. Greatness doesn't happen overnight.

I challenge all of us to set a goal and strive to it. Wake up looking forward to what is at hand. Tackle the challenges of the day with a refreshed spirit and mind.



-VP

No comments:

Post a Comment