Thursday, September 16, 2010

Eternal Reflection




Coming to terms with the person in the mirror is one of the most difficult but also most liberating and essential things we can ever do.  Dedicating more time to defending yourself rather than learning yourself proves to have a bit of a perverse affect on your reality.  When you get sucked into your own sob story it causes stagnation. I’ve grown to learn that perception is *everything*. Occasionally, I’ve taken myself too seriously and made more excuses than improvements to my state of mind and my personal situation.  But why? Complacency? Bad company? Denial? Immaturity? My answer leans towards “all of the above”.  

Admitting that my state of mind is indeed a product of my own decisions was and still remains to be a tough pill to swallow.  Running from myself is only temporary because emotions and feelings don’t erase themselves as much as you think you’ve done a great job at ignoring them or making excuses for them. They’re very much still exactly where you left them and are growing exponentially into bigger, more permanent issues. It was so easy to point the finger for all of my faults. Sure I’ve been hurt and been through some things but life wasn’t hard…..and those around me who supported that behavior made it that much easier for me to believe my own hype.  I’m blessed to know plenty of people who may have good reason to issue blame, but they don’t waste time with that negative mindset and I will always admire them for that. Surrounding yourself with progressive people is essential. Even if you yourself are not quite on that level, being around those who possess what you aspire to gain mentally and emotionally can be a major catalyst to your personal growth. The reality check may sting initially, but muscles have to tear a bit before they can grow.  Your “comfort zone” can really cripple you in the long run.

I’m still a beginner at this growth thing, but I’ve come a long way. The best part about it is that I know I have the choice for growth to either remain a constant or a variable in my life. Of course I choose the former. The day I stop growing and seeking knowledge, wisdom, and understanding is the day of my demise. Sometimes we can’t control the cause. The (mental/emotional) effect, however, lies in our hands. That’s the beauty of life.

“Everything remains constant when there is an absence of force. It is when force (or resistance) is applied that there is acceleration.” – Kelly Powell  ….(yea I quoted you. Punk.)

-GB

1 comment:

  1. The best part of growth is seeing it in those around you, it can be enlightening to see someone striving to better themselves and situation, can prompt those around you to want to do the same, not(always) out of envy yet out of hope.

    "My Mother told me, my brothers showed me, my friends helped me, but my growth im controlling" (Jrome - On My J.O.B.)

    ReplyDelete