Monday, September 27, 2010

Home Sweet Home

First off, let me say that I am still a proud Raiders fan. We almost got the (punk a**) Cardinals, but on a freak accident Sebastian Janikowski missed a 32-yard kick in the last seconds.
DAMNIT!!!! *sigh* But we're looking promising this year. Anybody that has anything smart to say, come see me...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Switching gears...
I've said this before, but for me, being laid off was probably the best thing that has ever happened to me. Everything had always lined up so nicely for me.....graduated college in 4 years, started a great entry-level job literally 2 days after I graduated, got my own place a few months afterwards, AND I was able to move back to Birmingham to my comfort zone to achieve all this. I had parties/sets at my place almost weekly. Women whom I would normally have to jump through rings of fire for were attracted like magnets. Boxes and boxes of clothes/shoes/accessories showing up bi-weekly (I mostly shopped online). I was able to financially help out my friends/family without hesitation when they needed it. Expensive membership to Golds Gym to keep my body right and make me feel more healthy and good about myself in general. Most importantly, I was able to enjoy my success with the people I care for the most. Couldn't get any better, right?
Negative.
In August '08, THIS happened at the apartment complex I was living in....a few buildings away from mine. Some of you may remember it. I took the hint, and after talks with my parents, decided that it was the perfect opportunity for me to elevate further. December 31, 2008 I signed the papers for my first house. Cloud 9 is an understatement....I felt so blessed and it was completely surreal that I was a homeowner at 23. In '07, if someone would have told me I would be signing closing papers in '08 I would have asked for a blood sample and a urinalysis because they would have had to be high. Everything was perfect (as possible).....but I failed to account for variable change...
About 2 weeks before I was laid off, my dad planted some wisdom in me which will stay embedded forever... "Always prepare for the rain while the sun is still shining." I took it for what it was and respected it, but was still in my euphoric state. It was an eye-opener, but I still felt "Well this won't happen to me....not right now at least. I'll recognize the signs before it goes bad." Terribly wrong lol...
Months of relentless work were at hand. And, if they read this, I want to personally thank every person who supported me through it (whether they knew about my situation or not). J.O. and K.O., you didn't know what was going on with me, but being a part of your wedding did more for me than you two will ever know. It was refreshing to have a change of scenery, be aroundsome people I've known for a very long time, and witness something so pure. You two inspired me then and still continue to do so. Thank you.
I never fancied the idea of moving away from home but it both excited me and scared the heck out of me when I was presented with an opportunity in the DC area. There was nothing for me professionally in Alabama although most my personal ties were there. Tough situation to come to terms with..... I realized that I had grown so much yet so little. I've been here a little over a year and I've had some wins and losses, but as I sit here today, I am better physically, mentally, and emotionally than I was this time last year. I wouldn't change a thing and I thank God for giving me the opportunity to grow as I have. This is where I'm supposed to be and I'm happy to say that.
Home will ALWAYS be Hoover, AL. No matter where I am on the globe, I refuse to forget where I came from. That is my foundation.....everything after is by-product.
- GB
Lol....I had to do it. We all think we're sex symbols. Deal with it.

4 comments:

  1. I feel you on this. I don't have the same situation as you have but I did have to relocate. I grew up in the church, went to the same church my entire life. St. Peter was my home, the members were my family, but we all have to do what's best for all of us. My family felt that it was time to move on. It wasn't cause we harbored any ill will toward the church, we felt that we had to grow and be a better assets elsewhere. I'm glad we did relocate to a different church because I feel like I can grow into a better individual where I am now. Sometimes moving away is better for you as an individual. Your orignal home will always be in your heart, but it may not be where you are suppose to remain.
    Your lack of growth could delay someone else's growth cause they are looking up to you for motivation. You have to take chances toward your own peace (that's what you tell me right?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know your pain and i feel you strenght... we've all been thru hardships but knowing where you came from and realizing what you had to go thru to get where you are can be the most refreshing thing in life... nobody happier for you than ya fam... keep it going bruh nothing but love n support round here

    ReplyDelete
  3. God Bless you G!. Love the blog yall. Appreciate all the wisdom I learn from you three.

    ReplyDelete
  4. J.O. you'll always be like a brother to me. Thanks for the support fam!

    ReplyDelete